Corfu is a beautiful Greek island known for its stunning beaches, rich history, and charming villages.
If you’re planning a visit to Corfu, here are 15 things you can do to make the most of your trip:
- Explore Corfu Town: Begin your journey by wandering through the narrow streets of Corfu Town’s Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Admire the Venetian-style architecture, visit the Old Fortress, and stroll along the charming Liston promenade.
- Visit Achilleion Palace: Discover the grandeur of Achilleion Palace, built in the 19th century for Empress Elisabeth of Austria. Explore the beautiful gardens and enjoy breathtaking views of the island from its terraces.
- Relax at Paleokastritsa: Spend a day at the picturesque village of Paleokastritsa, known for its crystal-clear waters and stunning scenery. Enjoy swimming, snorkeling, or take a boat trip to explore nearby caves and hidden beaches.
- Take a boat trip to Paxos and Antipaxos: Embark on a boat excursion to the nearby islands of Paxos and Antipaxos. Explore their secluded beaches, swim in turquoise waters, and indulge in the laid-back island atmosphere.
- Visit the Mon Repos Palace: Explore the Mon Repos Palace, located just outside Corfu Town. This neoclassical building is surrounded by beautiful gardens and offers a glimpse into Corfu’s history.
- Discover the Canal d’Amour: Head to Sidari and explore the famous Canal d’Amour. Marvel at the unique rock formations and take a swim in the natural sea caves. According to legend, couples who swim through the canal will have everlasting love.
- Explore the villages of the north: Take a drive through the scenic villages of the island’s northern part. Visit places like Kassiopi, with its charming harbor, and Mount Pantokrator, offering panoramic views of the island.
- Visit the Mouse Island (Pontikonisi): Take a boat trip to the iconic Mouse Island, located near Corfu Town. Admire the small church of Vlacherna and the picturesque views of the island from this idyllic spot.
- Enjoy the beaches: Corfu is known for its stunning beaches. Spend a day sunbathing and swimming at popular beaches like Glyfada, Agios Gordios, or Barbati. Each beach offers its own unique charm and amenities.
- Visit the Museum of Asian Art: Explore the Museum of Asian Art, located in Corfu Town. Marvel at the impressive collection of artworks from China, Japan, India, and other Asian countries.
- Sample local cuisine: Indulge in traditional Corfiot dishes and delicacies. Try the famous sofrito (veal cooked in white wine sauce), pastitsada (pasta with spicy meat sauce), and the local specialty, bourdeto (fish stew).
- Go hiking in the Corfu countryside: Lace up your hiking boots and explore the natural beauty of Corfu. Walk along scenic trails, such as the Corfu Trail, and enjoy breathtaking views of the island’s landscapes and coastline.
- Visit the Old Perithia: Step back in time and visit the abandoned village of Old Perithia. Wander through its narrow streets, admire the preserved Venetian houses, and learn about its fascinating history.
- Take a wine tour: Corfu has a long history of winemaking. Join a wine tour and visit local vineyards, taste unique wines, and learn about the island’s winemaking traditions.
- Experience Corfu’s nightlife: End your day by exploring Corfu’s vibrant nightlife scene. Head to areas like Kavos or Ipsos, where you’ll find a wide selection of bars, clubs, and beachside venues. Dance the night away, enjoy live music, or simply relax with a cocktail while soaking in the lively atmosphere.
- Visit the Church of Saint Spyridon: Pay a visit to the Church of Saint Spyridon in Corfu Town. This beautiful church is dedicated to the island’s patron saint and houses his relics. Admire the stunning interior adorned with Byzantine artwork and experience the spiritual ambiance.
- Explore the Old Venetian Fortress: Take a trip to the Old Venetian Fortress, also known as the New Fortress, located in Corfu Town. Climb to the top for panoramic views of the city and the surrounding coastline. Explore the fort’s underground tunnels and learn about its historical significance.
- Enjoy water sports: Corfu offers a range of water sports activities for adventure enthusiasts. Try jet skiing, parasailing, windsurfing, or even go scuba diving to explore the underwater world and vibrant marine life.
- Visit the Museum of Banknotes: If you’re interested in numismatics, visit the Museum of Banknotes in Corfu Town. Discover the history of Greek currency and see a collection of rare banknotes and coins.
- Go on a cycling tour: Explore Corfu’s picturesque landscapes on a cycling tour. Ride through olive groves, vineyards, and charming villages while enjoying the fresh air and scenic beauty of the island.
- Take a day trip to Albania: If you have more time, consider taking a day trip to the neighboring country of Albania. Visit the historic city of Saranda, explore ancient archaeological sites like Butrint, and experience the unique culture and cuisine of Albania.
- Attend a local festival or event: Check the calendar for festivals and events happening during your visit to Corfu. From religious celebrations to music festivals, there’s always something happening on the island. Join in the festivities and immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Go shopping in Corfu Town: Explore the shops and boutiques of Corfu Town for unique souvenirs, handmade crafts, and local products. Don’t miss the chance to pick up traditional olive oil, local wines, and Corfiot specialties to take home.
- Take a cooking class: Learn to prepare traditional Corfiot dishes by joining a cooking class. Discover the secrets of Corfu’s culinary traditions, from using fresh local ingredients to mastering traditional recipes.
- Relax and unwind: Finally, don’t forget to take some time to relax and enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of the island. Find a quiet spot on the beach, read a book, or simply soak up the sun and let the beauty of Corfu wash over you.
These activities offer a variety of experiences to make your visit to Corfu memorable. Enjoy the island’s natural beauty, immerse yourself in its rich history and culture, and create lasting memories during your time in this enchanting Greek destination.