To get to Paxos, a beautiful island located in Greece, you can follow these general steps:
- Flight to Greece: If you are traveling internationally, you will need to book a flight to Greece. The most common arrival airports are Athens International Airport (ATH) or Thessaloniki Airport (SKG).
- Transfer to Paxos: Paxos does not have its own airport, so you’ll need to reach the island by sea. There are two main ports on the mainland that offer ferry connections to Paxos:a. Corfu: The most popular route is to take a flight to Corfu International Airport (CFU). From the airport, you can take a taxi or bus to the port of Corfu Town, where you’ll find regular ferry services to Paxos. The ferry journey from Corfu to Paxos takes about 1-2 hours, depending on the type of ferry.b. Igoumenitsa: Alternatively, you can take a ferry from the port of Igoumenitsa, which is accessible by bus or car from Athens or Thessaloniki. There are ferry services from Igoumenitsa to Paxos, and the journey typically takes around 1-2 hours.
- Ferry to Paxos: Once you arrive at either Corfu or Igoumenitsa, you can board a ferry to Paxos. The ferry schedules and operators may vary depending on the season, so it’s recommended to check the current timetables in advance. The two main ports on Paxos are Gaios (the capital) and Lakka, and the ferry will likely stop at one or both of these ports.
- Local Transportation on Paxos: After arriving at Gaios or Lakka, you can easily explore the island on foot or use local transportation options. Taxis, scooters, and boats are available for rent, allowing you to travel around and discover the beautiful beaches, villages, and natural landscapes of Paxos.
Remember to check the ferry schedules in advance and consider the weather conditions, especially during the off-peak season, as ferry services may be less frequent. You can check our services for boat trips from Corfu to Paxos.
Here are a few more details to help you plan your trip to Paxos:
- Accommodation: Paxos offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, villas, and apartments. It’s advisable to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the peak tourist season, to ensure availability and secure the best rates. Gaios, Lakka, and Loggos are the main villages on the island where you’ll find a variety of accommodations.
- Exploring Paxos: Paxos is a small island, and one of the best ways to explore it is on foot. The island offers picturesque walking trails that lead you through olive groves, vineyards, and charming coastal areas. You can also rent a scooter or a car if you prefer more independent transportation.
- Beaches and Coves: Paxos is renowned for its crystal-clear turquoise waters and secluded beaches. Some of the popular beaches on the island include Voutoumi, Mogonissi, Monodendri, and Orkos. You can spend your days sunbathing, swimming, and enjoying water activities such as snorkeling or kayaking.
- Boat Trips: Paxos is surrounded by several smaller islands and stunning sea caves. Taking a boat trip around the island and exploring these hidden gems is highly recommended. You can join organized boat tours or rent a boat to discover Paxos at your own pace.
- Local Cuisine: Don’t miss the opportunity to savor the delicious local cuisine on Paxos. The island offers a variety of traditional Greek taverns and restaurants where you can taste fresh seafood, local specialties like sofrito (a local beef dish), and the famous Paxos olive oil.
- Island-Hopping: If you have more time and want to explore further, you can consider combining your visit to Paxos with nearby islands such as Antipaxos, which is famous for its stunning sandy beaches and turquoise waters. Regular boat connections are available between Paxos and Antipaxos.
Remember to check the local regulations and travel requirements, such as COVID-19 protocols and any specific entry requirements for Greece, before you embark on your journey to Paxos.
It’s always recommended to double-check the latest information and make any necessary bookings before your trip to ensure a smooth journey to Paxos.